Saturday 4 April 2015

Dashboard

I did some work on the dashboard over the weekend whilst all the shops were shut and mechanical work ground to a halt. 

Firstly, I made a cardboard template of the dash and cut out instrument holes:
I found that the position for right hand most hole (for the rev counter) is pretty much dictated by a cut out in the aluminium lip which the dashboard mounts to.  The other large hole was cut to be symmetrical about the central axis of the steering column.  The 4 smaller holes are symmetrical about the centre of the dashboard - I've also arranged them so that if the painted stripes are continued down the dash, then the centre 2 instruments will sit nicely inside a stripe each...  But more of that later.

Once the cardboard template was satisfactory, I masked off the GRP dash and transferred the design:


Then started cutting using a 52mm hole saw for the small holes and a router attachment on a Dremel for the larger holes:
I do not have the GBS instrument surround but even with the ultimate flexibility that this affords, I opted for a fairly standard layout!

No comments:

Post a Comment