Friday 17 April 2015

Brake Bleeding

After a weekend visit to fellow GBS Zero owners Stewart and Kay Willsher and a fairly slow week, I have finally finished piecing together the rear brakes.  One of my Spanish amigos came over to help me bleed them using the 'see-through pipe into Coke bottle' method, but it wasn't too successful.


We succeeded in filling the system with fluid until this happened:


It turned out that the nipple here (left rear brake)...

...did not have enough thread to pull the pipe onto the nipple which resulted in a large leak.  The leaking fluid also took the paint off the end of the drive shaft as seen at the bottom of the pic.  I fixed it by removing the inboard washer from where the nipple bolts to the chassis, this freed up about 1.5mm of extra thread and I was able to clamp it tight.

Having done all that, I was not convinced that there wasn't still some air in the system, so I borrowed one of these and did the job again:


And so, the braking circuits are now done and all four wheels are on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment