Sunday 7 June 2015

Rear Wings and Lights

Still waiting for the throttle bodies to arrive.  Time for fitting the rear wings and lights. 

The reverse and fog lights must have their reflectors perpendicular to the road surface.  In order to achieve this, about 10mm needs trimming from the bottom edge of the casing.  I used a hacksaw to get them roughly where they needed to be, then finished off with sandpaper on the floor to get a consistent edge all the way round.  I used some thin IVA trim around the edge of the light casing and then bolted them into place:





A caution here is that there are 2 negative terminals in each of the light casings and it is very easy to connect the wires incorrecly causing a short circuit.  


Next up, I cut the tadpole trim so that it would bend around the profile of the rear wing and then used contact adhesive to hold it in place.  Other builders have used the panel-bonding agent, but I really don't like it as I find it very difficult to be accurate and tidy when applying it.  Painting the adhesive is much easier.

Once the trim was attached, I bolted the wings into place:



I used masking tape to help line up the positions for the rear light clusters, noting that the suspension isn't quite level...  ...danger, danger!

I made a cardboard template using the backing plate from the light clusters:


And then used it to mark up the positions onto the wings, drilled holes and mounted the rear clusters:



I ran the cable through a support attached to one of the mounting bolts thus:


I have read some chat about putting the electrical connector inside the bodywork to protect it from water, dirt and other contamination thrown up by the wheel, but this would make it considerably more difficult to remove the wing in the future.  I am not sure how often wing removal would need to be done, but I will stick with this set up for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment