Sunday 21 June 2015

New Dashboard

After a disasterous attempt to colour-code the dashboard, I decided to put a carbon fibre skin over the fibre glass to hide the problem.  I bought a kit from Easy Composites and then followed their very useful video tutorial.  Before starting, I roughened the surface of the fibre glass to aid adhesion and then painted it black.  There will only be one skin of carbon, so any breaks in the carbon may reveal the background colour.  Having said that, Easy Composites supplies epoxy resin with black dye to reduce the likelihood of this problem.


Because 2 x 2 carbon twill has a directional weave, I split the dash in the centre and set the weave so that it eminates outwards from the centre point.  Here's the result:


There are some imperfections on close inspection, but overall I am pleased with my first attempt at skinning and think that there are many other parts which could be skinned for good effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment