Sunday 24 May 2015

Engine Loom Wiring





I took the time to continue with the engine loom wiring whilst I await the arrival of the throttle bodies.


The battery tray was fitted first using countersunk rivets and ensuring that it won't foul the bonnet when fitted.  This position determines the position of the holes in the firewall for the battery +ve and -ve connections:






I drilled the holes out to 10mm and then increased the diameter with my Dremel.  The rubber gromets were included with the battery cables.

The battery -ve connection runs straight to earth - I almost got the rivnut gun stuck between the rivnut and the chassis member.  Next time, I will put the earth rivnut a little further to the left!

The battery +ve connection runs to the fuse board.

Next, I marked up the position for the wiper motor and ECU - the idea being to minimise the angles out of the wiper motor whilst leaving enough room to get the electrical connectors onto each end of the ECU.  The flasher relay is attached via rivnut to the firewall near the steering column.  This is what I came up with:



After a bit more wire wiggling, I opted to run the battery +ve along the top of the scuttle to the fuse board.  I have zip-tied the wiper cable to the battery +ve and the +ve out to the starter motor runs down from the fuse board, forward along the right hand side of the tunnel.


Here's a close up of the fuse board connection.  The aux plug and dash lead are attached to keep them secure and out of the way:



From where the +ve lead exits the tunnel to the engine bay, I have fixed it to the chassis on its way to the starter motor using cable tie bridges and then cable-tied the rest of the loom to it: 


I used the +ve lead from where it runs down from the chassis to the starter motor to hold the starter solenoid and crank position sensor cables:






That's the left hand side of the engine loom pretty much complete.  I need to take delivery of the throttle bodies before I can start on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment